I have reviewed a lot of changing bags but one hasn’t got me this excited in a while. I first saw Fawn Design on Instagram about a year and a half ago (I’m always stalking the #changingbag #nappybag #diaperbag hashtags on Insta) and it was love at first sight. I am so happy to finally have one land on UK soil all the way from USA.
I have never seen anything like it – it is such a unique design, a lot of changing bag backpack designs can be quite similar but this one broke all the rules and I was curious I wanted to know more. Over the past year I have watched hours of YouTube videos of people reviewing this bag and showing how they pack it. From afar I have learned a few things about Fawn Design which are:
- This is the changing bag “IT bag” of America, if you want to be considered a cool mom then this is the bag to have.
- It is hugely popular and always sells out super fast! Over the past year it has sold out a few times already and can be out of stock for weeks at a time so if you want one you have to act fast.
- Even celebrities have been snapped using this bag, if it’s good enough for Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis then it’s good enough for me.
- Fawn Design was founded in 2004 by husband and wife team Jenny and Cole Wecker and for the first year of business Jenny hand stitched each bag on her sewing machine at home. The money for the business came from Crowdfunding which was a huge success as they raised $42,000 in 15 days which as nearly double their original goal.
- Fawn Design isn’t a huge corporation so it’s nice to know that you are supporting their family when you buy one of their bags.
Over the past year I have lusted after many different changing bag designs and this one has always been up there on my list as one that I wanted to try out so I was extremely happy when I finally got that ‘order confirmation’ email, at first I wasn’t sure what to expect with it being an international purchase but I was very impressed, I was able to track the parcel all through the USA and even when it landed at Heathrow Airport the tracking continued with Royal Mail. I did get stung with a customs fee of £39 but it is something that I was expecting so I managed to budget or it. I was very happy to receive the bag within 7 working days of dispatch which I thought was pretty speedy given the distance it had to travel.
Since the bag arrived about 2 weeks ago I have used it none stop, photos of it don’t do it justice. I knew that it was made from faux leather and my favourite bags are all real leather so I wondered if it would look cheap but I was pleasantly surprised that it really doesn’t. The bag looks like real leather and feels to be made of high quality materials and has been manufactured very well. Instead of a big wall of text I will bullet point the pros and cons of this bag so you can decide if it’s right for you or not.
- Is a gorgeous design, doesn’t look like a baby bag at all.
- The half-moon shape of the bag makes it very easy to see and access everything inside of the bag.
- The faux leather is of very high quality and looks like real leather.
- The gold hardware of the bag is absolutely gorgeous, it isn’t a yellow cheap looking gold, it’s more of a rose gold tone.
- The bag is very comfortable to wear.
- The bag is waterproof and very easy to clean as the whole interior of the bag which is also waterproof pulls out so that you can wipe it clean.
- The buckles on the straps are so smooth and easy to adjust even when on your back.
- You can wear the bag multiple ways which would be great for if you want to baby wear. You can wear it as a backpack, cross body, over your shoulder. You can even attach it to your pram using stroller straps (purchased separately).
- The bag features lots of pockets and would be good for twins as it can hold multiple bottles.
- It features an inside zipped pocket with a key fob to the side.
- It’s available in lots of different colours, apart from the black which is my favourite colour I absolutely love the grey!.
- The bag doesn’t come with a changing mat.
- The bag doesn’t have insulated bottle pockets.
- The interior of the bag is made from the same material as the outer and because mine is black I sometimes struggle to see everything inside of the bag due to it all being so dark.
- I struggle to fit some standard drink bottles in the bottle pockets of the bag. I think that this is due to the pockets not being lined so my bottle really sticks to the material of the bag and won’t fit in the pocket. Tip – My brushed stainless steel Klean Kanteen will slide into the pockets but my painted blue Klean Kanteen will not fit in the pockets, even when both wiped dry.
Overall I really can’t get enough of this bag, it’s so comfortable to wear and it looks like a luxury leather bag for half the price. Don’t get me wrong it isn’t cheap to get one shipped to the UK you are looking at about £150 (minus any customs fees) but I feel that this price is on par with other luxury changing backpacks over here in the UK. I knew that once I saw this bag I couldn’t get it out of my mind as there really isn’t anything else like it. It’s very versatile in the ways that you can carry it and it would be perfect for a parent of single or multiple children. I have had so many compliments on this bag and it makes me happy whenever I use it, I really couldn’t recommend it enough.
For a better look at the bag and to see what I pack in it for a 2-year-old please check out my video review below –
Apart from black this bag is also available in brown, grey, poppy red, blush pink or bloom (nude). They have recently released a mini version so that you can twin with your little one (the ultimate dream) or you can wear it yourself. I’m definitely crushing on a mini bag but at the time this post is published they are currently sold out. Fawn Design usually sells out fast but they are working on restocking them as soon as possible. If you would like to know more or you would like to purchase one please click here.
What do you think of Fawn Design? I’m obsessed! I’m tempted by the grey colour too. – Jodie x
Disclaimer: I was very kindly sent a gift voucher covering the initial cost of the bag from Fawn Design so that I could review it, I paid for the shipping and customs fees myself out of my own money. As always all thoughts and opinions are my own.